Tuesday, August 18, 2009


I wanted to give a quick update that Carter-Man made it home just fine yesterday. He was transported by Physician's Support to make it easy for everyone and because he does have a trache and they wanted to make sure that he got into the house safely....AND HE DID!!! It was very obvious that although he was VERY happy to be home, he was nervous (thank goodness for medicine for that)!! He was very tired and seemed to take a great nap in his new bed. He was very excited to see his new Star Wars bedding that Grandma Cecee bought for him. We noticed he seemed sad so we tried for sometime to figure out what was wrong.....he was sad that Jenny and the Beggan girls were not here to greet him. I explained that I wanted it to be calm but that I would make one quick phone call and within a minute they would be here and sure enough, Jenny showed up within seconds and the Beggan girls were here within minutes (Becca actually yanked them out of the pool when she got my message)!!!! He was elated to see them and they were just as happy to see him. He had somewhat of a difficult evening and night getting settled. This is completely understandable considering he has been in the hospital for 4 months. He did get some sleep and was anxious this morning to get on the couch. It was the first time he sat on the couch since May and he was very comfortable. This will also help to get him sitting up alone again. He will start physical and occupational therapy 3 times a week tomorrow. He is sleeping comfortable now and hopefully will take a nice long nap so we can go for a walk later.Now onto the adjustment period...
As you can imagine, the care is very overwhelming. Carter is on 15 different medicines, most having to be given 2-3 times per day. He is also on a continuous feed (formula that we must prepare every night) and he gets bolus feeds of H20 4 times a day. I know that we will adjust..it will just take time. I know that there are many of you that are super anxious to see him and we understand. We ask that you call before you come. If we do not answer, please just leave a message and we will call you back when we get a chance. We are doing our best to provide the best care to Carter while trying hard to maintain normalcy for Caroline. We also want to provide privacy for Carter as often as he needs it. No doubt, he loves visitors but there are times during the day that he is sleeping, doing physical therapy, or just relaxing. We are also going to try to put time aside in the day for family walks and movie time. Carter has his regular checkup and treatment this Thursday. We are sheduled to have transportation for that but Carter is very adamant that he wants to go in our truck. We are going to do a trial run and see how that goes. I think he will do just fine (so does Skip). We wish that we could have everyone here at once to celebrate his homecoming but right now we are trying so hard to adjust to our "new" normal. Thank you for understanding:) I will keep you all posted as the week progresses!

Love to you all,